Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
"Empowering Women in the Maritime Community" was the World Maritime Day theme for 2019. The theme provided an opportunity to raise awareness of the importance of gender equality, in line with the United Nations' Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), and to highlight the important contribution of women all over the world to the maritime sector.
The Council of the International Maritime Organization (IMO), meeting for its 120th session at IMO Headquarters in London, endorsed the theme, following a proposal by IMO Secretary-General Kitack Lim. “IMO has a strong commitment to helping achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and continues to support the participation of women in both shore-based and seagoing posts, in line with the goals outlined under SDG 5: 'Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls',” Mr Lim said. Read More
Arab Women in Maritime Association (AWiMA)
One of AWiMA's objectives is to encourage and promote gender equality for Arab women in the maritime sector.
Association of Women Managers in the Maritime Sector in Eastern and Southern Africa (WOMESA)
WOMESA was initiated by the IMO and launched in December 2007, in Mombasa, Kenya, under IMO’s program on the Integration of Women in the Maritime Sector (IWMS).
ILO Sectoral Meeting on the Recruitment and Retention of Seafarers and the Promotion of Opportunities for Women Seafarers
The Meeting of February 25 - March 1, 2019 discussed the issues raised in the resolution adopted by the 94th (Maritime) Session of the International Labour Conference (2006).
International Association of Ports & Habors Women's Forum (IAPHWF)
IAPHWF aspires to advance and empower women in the maritime industry; create a platform for discussing women’s issues in the industry; encourage women to join the industry; and to promote training programs.
International Women Seafarers Foundation (IWSF)
The International Women Seafarers foundation was conceived with the intention of promoting and supporting women seafarers in their sailing career.
Maritime UK - Women in Maritime
Maritime UK has established a Taskforce to address fairness, equality and inclusion within the maritime sector. Other initiatives include the Women in Maritime Pledge and the Women in Maritime Charter.
MENA & Africa Arab Women's International Maritime Forum (MENA & Africa AIWMF)
MENA & Africa AIWMF is a non- profit organization for enhancing Arab maritime women's role in the maritime industry.
Nautilus International Women's Forum
The Women's Forum of Nautilus International offers an opportunity for female members to engage in discussions on the specific challenges facing women in the maritime profession.
Pacific Women in Maritime Association (PacWIMA)
PacWIMA was established in 2005 under the guidance of IMO’s gender programme for women in the maritime sector, with the assistance from the Pacific Community (SPC), Regional Maritime Programme (RMP).
The mission of Sea Sisters is to promote the recruitment and retention of women in the maritime industry.
She of the Sea
She of the Sea is the community of professional women in the Yachting industry, and those who support them.
Women in Maritime Africa (WIMAFRICA)
WIMAFRICA is a maritime women & leaders Organization, comprising all African women in the marine & maritime sectors (i.e including all sea related activities)
Women in Maritime Association, Caribbean (WiMAC)
A Regional group of female maritime professionals committed to increasing the performance, participation and contribution of women in the maritime sector.
Women Offshore, LLC
Women Offshore, LLC is an online organization providing resources to foster long-term careers and sharing the latest efforts on gender diversity and inclusion in the offshore and maritime industries.
Women’s International Shipping & Trading Association (WISTA International)
WISTA connects female executives and decision makers around the world. More than 40 countries support a National WISTA Association, each of which in turn is a member of WISTA International.
Below are headlines and links to selected 2020 content, from the global media, which relate to the theme of World Maritime Day 2019, Empowering Women in the Maritime Community.
- WMU PhD candidate Kristal Ambrose receives prestigious Goldman Environmental Prize 2020. World Maritime University (WMU). 2 December 2020.
- Breakbulk Middle East empowers women in breakbulk sector. Emirates News Agency (UAE). 30 November 2020.
- The impact of COVID on maritime gender pay. Spinnaker Global. 24 November 2020.
- Women in Shipping Present a Unified Voice at Global AGM. Women's International Shipping & Trading Association (WISTA). 5 November 2020.
- ICS sets targets to get more women working at sea. International Chamber of Shipping (ICS). 3 November 2020.
- Recruitment change needed to draw women to bunker sector, research finds. TradeWinds. 21 October 2020.
- Are jobs on some ships 'not for ladies'? Shipowners trade ideas on women at sea. TradeWinds. 21 October 2020.
- A long way still to go. Royal Institution of Naval Architects (RINA). October 2020.
- PODCAST: Sea Control 205 – Women in Maritime Security with Dr. Ruxandra Bosilca and Dr. Jessica Larssen. Center for International Maritime Security. 8 October 2020.
- Beyond the 2% - a Future Vision for Women in the Maritime Industry. American Bureau of Shipping. 26 September 2020
- Port master is captain of her career. Soweto Live (South Africa). 11 September 2020
- Women on the Watch at the FOC [Fleet Operations Center]. Carnival. 24 August 2020
- Anglo-Eastern, WISTA, ICS and ISWAN Launch Gender Survey to Update Gender Diversity Manual. WISTA. 10 August 2020
- Personal protective gear: making shipping a better fit for female seafarers. TradeWinds. 21 July 2020
- Microsoft chief calls on shipping companies to include more women. ShippingWatch. 17 July 2020
- Few female CEOs slow down more gender equality on shipping boards. ShippingWatch. 8 July 2020
- How to get more women seafarers on board. Institute for Security Studies (ISS). 7 July 2020
- Join seafaring, maritime stakeholders tip women. Daily News (Tanzania). 1 July 2020
- The nurse who decided to go to sea. Splash 247.com. 25 June 2020
- INS commits to closing gender gap at sea. International Nuclear Services (INS). 24 June 2020
- Grangemouth harbour master is first female to lead UK professional body. Insider.co.uk. 10 June 2020
- Workshop Discusses The Sexual Harassment In Maritime Industry. Fiji Sun. 10 June 2020
- Meet the Innovator Protecting our Oceans in Solomon Islands: Dr. Katy Soapi. Pacific Islands News Association (PINA). 4 June 2020
- Fijian Women Are Above International Benchmark. Fiji Sun. 27 May 2020
- The issues facing women at sea and my goals for Maritime SheEO. International Seafarers' Welfare and Assistance Network. 14 May 2020
- In Pictures: The Moroccan fisherwomen. Aljazeera. 12 May 2020
- Angola Joins WISTA International. WISTA International (Women's International Shipping & Trading Association). 21 April 2020
- Maritime calling. Lloyd's Register. 3 April 2020
- Somalia – An Ocean of Opportunities for Women in Maritime Sector. European Union EUCAP Somalia. 18 March 2020
- The best man for the job; why the shipping industry so often misses the point of diversity. Splash 24/7.com. 12 March 2020
- Women must be driven to set benchmark in an unusual career. Times of India. 11 March 2020
- St. Kitts Registry Sponsors Female Cadet to Attend WISTA Conference. Maritime Executive. 11 March 2020
- All-female bridge team sets sail on International Women’s Day. Institute of Marine Engineering, Science and Technology. 11 March 2020
- Celebrity Edge's all-female bridge and onboard leadership team make history. Seatrade Cruise News. 9 March 2020
- Celebrating women at sea. Part 1; Part 2; Part 3. International Seafarers' Welfare and Assistance Network. 8 March 2020
- We are all seafarers: International Women’s Day reflections from a female captain and engineer at sea. Marlins. 8 March 2020
- Maritime UK celebrates International Women’s Day by launching new resource for schools and industry ambassadors. Maritime UK. 8 March 2020
- Statement from WISTA on International Women’s Day 2020. WISTA International (Women's International Shipping & Trading Association). 7 March 2020
- Hutchison Ports Gains UK Women in Maritime Charter Certification. Port of Felixstowe (UK). 6 March 2020
- International Women's Day: progress on gender equality remains slow. UN News. 5 March 2020
- Report reveals nearly 90 per cent of all people have ‘a deeply ingrained bias’ against women. UN News. 5 March 2020
- Maritime SheEO will help remove glass ceiling in shipping industry: Sanjam Sahi Gupta. Hellenic Shipping News. 3 March 2020
- Women stepping up as stereotypes break down in maritime world. Professional Mariner. 3 March 2020
- Women in maritime: Leading the way in maritime law. DCN-Daily Cargo News (Australia). 25 February 2020
- Cameroon to elaborate strategy to involve women in the fight against maritime crimes. Business in Cameroon. 25 February 2020
- Barriers to work highlighted by female seafarers at European Shipping Week. Nautilus International. 24 February 2020
- Top 100 women in Shipping for 2019. All About Shipping. 19 February 2020
- Strengthening the Participation of Women and Girls in Ocean Science to Achieve the SDGs. International Institute for Sustainable Development . 10 February 2020
- With science ‘held back by a gender gap’, Guterres calls for more empowerment for women and girls. UN News. 10 February 2020
- All hands on deck. Diplomat Magazine (UK). 2 February 2020
- Grooming the next generation of women maritime leaders. Maritime Gateway. February 2020
- Charting a course: Women in modern maritime industries. Cayman Compass (Cayman Islands). 30 January 2020
- ITF supports push at the IMO for more women workers in maritime. International Transport Workers' Federation. 29 January 2020
- WISTA International signs MOU with the IMO. WISTA International (Women's International Shipping & Trading Association). 27 January 2020
- Danish Shipping wants more women on board. Danish Shipping. 23 January 23, 2020
- Gender at the Core of the 7th Maritime Law Enforcement Dialogue in Southeast Asia. United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime. 21 January 2020
- Headhunter seeks female candidates to no avail. ShippingWatch. 7 January 2020
- Panama Canal Gets Its First Female Deputy Administrator. World Maritime News. 3 January 2020